Friday, May 3, 2013

Father Lloyd and Me

Yesterday, I had a morning appointment at Cornell-New York Hospital with my neurologist. He's an unusually pleasant man,  whose only fault in my eyes is that he's so laid-back that I sometimes fear he'll tip his chair  over backward.

Afterward, I met Father Lloyd for lunch. This is a ritual I observe whenever my hospital appointments are on a weekday. Seeing one another pleases us both. I think my visits please him because I remind him about his good will and patience toward me when, as a reluctant catechumen, I took the Paulist Center conversion class three times. I must have asked a thousand questions--only because I controlled my desire to ask more. The visits please me because, at ninety-two, he remains the most open "dinosaur" (his word, not mine). I enjoy his enormous pleasure in my ongoing love for the Church, and how he examines and re-examines the meaning for him of his own father's Jewishness. Most of all, though, what bonds us is how visceral our faith is in God.  The same. The One.

No comments:

Post a Comment